Monday, February 23, 2009

Rodarte - New York Fashion Week Fall 2009

Ok... One more from Fashion Week and then back to regular knitting...

So the other designer I usually track at Fashion Week (besides Twinkle, of course) is Rodarte.

I have been following their collections for about 3 seasons now and just love, love, love their everything they put out!

And not just cause they are liberal arts majors (Kate Mulleavy's an Art History Major, like me!!!), but I can definitely see the art influence in their work and I think that's what attracts me so much to it.

Anyway, the other thing I love is that they do usually incorporate some type if knitting or knit-wear into their lines.

Everyone went nuts for their cobweb tights from their Fall '08 collection and everyone includes me! :)

So here are some of my favs from Fall '09 NYFW.


Now... I'm usually not a 'cowl' girl, but I LOVE big & chunky, and I LOVE taupy-greys, so I LOVE this!
Love the juxtaposition of materials... yarn and leather. Soft and tough. It's perfect.
Um, and love those fabulous thigh-high bondage boots.
I'd wear those with everything... and all year round... ;-)
This reminded me so much of Duchamp's Nude Descending Stairs. This piece is all about movement and time & space. I wonder if the Mulleavy sisters had Duchamp's futurist/cubist work in mind when they put this together.

These models aren't wearing anything knit but I love these mini-dresses and they are so much like collage and mixed media art.

I thought the colors in the dresses went well with Rauschenberg's Untitled (1979). He also loved his mixed media.

These dresses are part leather, part chiffon, part lacy goodness. Again, soft fabrics set against tough textures.
And, of course, Picasso's Bottle of Vieux Marc, Glass, Guitar and Newspaper (1913).
Collage and mixed media... Good for them! I wonder what the Mulleavy sisters will do for Spring 2010... Can't wait to see! :)

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, these ladies look like they are really malnourished. They're so thin and appear to be losing their hair.

    ReplyDelete