Friday, January 22, 2010

Gotham Fine Yarn (Lower East Side - Manhattan, NY)

Continuing my Knitting Tour-a-Thon, I was very excited to accidentally stumble into this cute little knitting shop - Gotham Fine Yarn!

  The owner was there and she is very nice (and helpful!).  I asked her about the Twinkle yarn and she does not carry it.

She does, however carry a fun substitute called Big Softie Super Chunky by Sirdar.  She said she finds this to be just as good as the Twinkle Soft & Chunky, if not better!


What I liked most about it was price!  At $4.95/skein, I couldn't resist.  I bought 4 skeins!

She has quite a nice selection of yarns ranging from Debbie Bliss to Louisa Harding.

I told her about my self-moderated Knitting Tour while on my visit here and she suggested a few other places for me to try!  That was nice of her!

What I enjoyed most was talking with her about starting her own business!

She has been open for three months now, which is huge and I hope her success continues. 

I asked her what she did before this and she said she designed jewelry and worked in an antique jewelry place.

It's nice to see her creative side and her entrepreneurial side meet and collaborate!

Good for her.

Hubby and I are BIG believers in small business (my dad had a small business for a looooong time and I've always appreciated how much it took to run it).

I'm excited to make something outta my four skeins of Sidar Big Softie (what, I have no idea...)!

Meanwhile, Knit Your Socks Off has a nice little write up on Gotham Fine Yarns and a nice Q&A with the owner!  (And a really nice NYC knitting shop blog!  Why didn't I find this sooner!


Gotham Fine Yarn is at 148 Orchard Street, between Stanton and Rivington in the Lower East Side (not far from Babycakes Bakery!!!).

0 comments:

Post a Comment